Magical Multipurpose Paleo & Primal Dough Recipe

Magical Multipurpose Paleo & Primal Dough Recipe

I’ve been working pretty hard on this recipe and I think it’s a winner. So much, in fact, that I’ve decided to sell it instead of giving it away for free. “Sell it?!” you ask incredulously. “Why not give it away like everyone else?”

The short answer is: I’m broke. My book is still in its editing phase and until it hits the shelves and becomes a New York Times Bestseller, I have absolutely no income. The long answer is: my husband told me this recipe was too good to give away. He wanted me to sell the recipe to a corporation so they could make it and sell it to you. I don’t want you to have to spend $6 for a 10 oz. box of crackers, so I’ve decided to sell you the recipe instead.

What is the recipe for? Pizza crust, crackers, rolls and (to a lesser extent cause they’re harder to make) tortillas. That’s right, Primalgirl’s Magical Multipurpose Paleo and Primal Dough Recipe will make ALL those things — and probably more if you’re super creative. I’m happier with the results of this recipe than I have been with any other recipe I’ve found in a book or online and with any gluten-free product I’ve purchased in a store. My husband likes pizza made with this dough better than delivery pizza. The crackers are crispy and crunchy. I’ve made hamburger buns, Saltines, Cheese Nips and dinner rolls. I can take bread with me to restaurants and parties and no longer have to ask for things wrapped in lettuce. Not that I don’t like lettuce-wrapped things, but after four years of eating this way, it’s starting to get a little old.

125x125_Dough_Rolls

To justify the price of $3.95, I’ve done up two separate recipes: the first is 100% Paleo and the other is Primal (it has dairy in it.) With the exception of eggs, this recipe is autoimmune-protocol friendly and completely adaptable to whatever you have in your pantry.

Gluten-free products are often filled with ingredients that aren’t good for you – stabilizers, emulsifiers, preservatives and soy. Most Paleo and Primal recipes use coconut flour or nuts, resulting in a product that kind of resembles what you want – but isn’t the real thing. Not only is this recipe grain free, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free and yeast-free, it’s also free of legumes, beans and nightshades, making it perfect for someone on an autoimmune diet.* The best part is, it tastes amazing and it’s super versatile.

* Recipe contains one egg.

Altogether, there are 7 pages of information, including details about the ingredients you’ll need and where to find them, additions and variations, detailed instructions and super cute graphics I created myself using Adobe Illustrator.

Buying a copy of this recipe will ensure that 1) my family can eat tomorrow, 2) I can continue to afford to run this blog and 3) I will love you forever. If you purchase it, please leave a review in the comments! I’ve also started an affiliate program. If you’re interested in advertising for me, you can make 20% of any purchase you send my way.

DoughCampaign

468 ad

217 Comments

1. Anything for you – Primal Girl. Wouldn’t want you going hungry! Can’t wait to try it – I’m not a baker type but I’m intrigued.

2. intriguing and genius proposition, how could i resist? have just bought a load of one ingredient to experiment with, now my children need no longer live in fear ;-)

• I just bought it. I’m tired of paying $8 bucks for a loaf! I’m Mexican and dying for tortillas the new paleo wrap cost $9 bucks plus shipping geez better off making my own cant wait :-)

• I totally agree, I came up with the recipe because I can’t stand spending loads of money on products that taste like a wet dog smells. :)
        For the tortillas, if you want to put them directly in the frying pan, try increasing the amount of tapioca by about 50 grams. I haven’t experimented too much with them this way, because I got annoyed at the dough sticking to the plastic wrap and just balled it up and threw it in the oven. The bits that I was able to get off the wrap and cook directly in the pan were AWESOME, but unless you want tortilla strips, then you’ll have to do them in the oven first and then transfer to the pan. :) Let me know how it goes!

3. Bought. :-) Have to DL later when I get home as it doesn’t want to DL to the phone lol. I can’t wait!

4. Just bought the recipe. But, ummm, grams of ingredients? How am I supposed to measure that?

• I always uses grams when I’m baking. It’s much more exact than cups and makes it easier to make substitutions. Using cup measurements is the reason some recipes fail. For example, your almond flour may weigh more than mine, so you actually need less. But when a recipe calls for one cup of it, you have no idea exactly how much to use unless we use the exact same brand. If you only have 1/2 cup of almond flour left, but you also have some sorghum flour, some tapioca flour etc. etc. on hand, you can combine them and weigh it out so that it totals the amount in the recipe. But you can’t just substitute one cup of almond flour for 1 cup of tapioca flour. So, that being said, I really suggest picking up a small kitchen scale which can weigh both grams and ounces. I used grams instead of ounces, because it’s more exact.
      I’ll go through the recipe and email you the cup amounts as best I can. Give me an hour or two, I have two toddlers under foot. :)

• Save yourself some $ and buy a scale…depending on storage and humidity, the same type of flour will weigh differently per dry measure. It’s not worth trying to measure it out. And should the recipe “fail” because weights weren’t followed, guess who takes the fall?

• I agree, Amy. I didn’t want to get into humidity, elevation etc. cause that could be a whole post in itself. :)

• That is SO interesting. I recently recipe tested for someone using almond flour. I tried it EIGHT times. Epic fail each time. I thought it was me or something…I feel so much better now. Apparently the recipe authors and others had no problem with it.

• I second the scale recommendation. I have the white Perfect Portions ($50) one and love it.

However, if I were buying now, I’d get the Epica Accupro Digital Kitchen Scale. It’s only $15 and has 300+ great reviews.

I agree, Katherine. I bought my scale for $15 about 10 years ago, and I’ve only had to replace the batteries in it once. I even melted the side of it a while back and it still works like a champ. ~primalgirl

• My favorite food scale is the Oxo Good Grips 11 Pound Food Scale with Pull Out Display. It’s easy to put a bowl on it, even a big one, and zero it out then get the weight of what I put into it.

• Heather, for some reason WordPress has hidden your email address now that I’ve replied to your comment, so I can’t find it to write you back. Can you email me by clicking on the “Contact Me” tab in the top right hand corner of the page? That way I’ll have your address and I can send you those amounts you need…

• Please, please send them to me as well? The gram thing has me scratching my head, and I want to rush out to nab the ingredients I don’t have tomorrow! :)

• Even with the measurements in cups, a food scale will give you better results. Amazon has a ton to choose from. The Epica Accupro Digital Kitchen Scale looks like the way to go.

5. Thank you! I’m going to try it this weekend. Interestingly, while Adobe has no trouble displaying the pdf, my nook hd+ hates it and doesn’t want to render pages correctly.

• Sorry to hear that, I don’t have a nook so I can’t help you there.

6. Just got my copy!! Can’t wait to try it out! Maybe now I can actually look forward to stew season… It just isn’t the same without bread! Thanks for putting this out there!

7. Just got the recipe and I am very excited! Finally an primal recipe with only a few ingredients, and the only expensive ingredient is one that will last! Can’t wait to try it out this weekend, dying for a hamburger bun, ha!

• I use the Primal version for Hamburger Buns, man oh man are they amazing. At first I thought they would be too “hard” but they were soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. Certainly not like a Wonder Bread bun, but way better IMHO. :) Let me know how it goes!

• Would you be able to give a description of about how big you make the buns? I know in the recipe you say to not make them too big, so I was hoping for your estimate of the size you make. Thanks!

• I don’t make them very high, only about 1.5 inches, but you can make them as wide around as you want. Last night I made hamburger buns. They were about the same size as commercial hamburger buns. Make sure you let them cool before cutting open. To reheat, pop them in the microwave for a few seconds.

8. Just tried the download and it worked flawlessly. Easy to do, and I must say, your website is excellent. Now, I have to try the recipe….Ok, I’ll get Mom to try the recipe, what am I superchef? I’ll certainly forward this on to my “Primal” friends as well. I think I have one. :)
    Good job sweetie-pie!

• DAD! I would have given you a free download or at least the military discount or the senior discount or the discount for those that gave me life (10% off) but thank you for supporting me. Is this going to go on my tab?
      BTW, it wouldn’t kill you to make a meal or bake something. We wouldn’t want you to get rusty or anything.
      xoxoxo

9. I am motivated by reason #3. Seriously it’s about time you got paid for all your hard work and brilliant ideas! Best of everything to you.

• Oh thank you so much Shelley, you didn’t have to buy so many copies! I am so thankful for your support.

10. Nicely Done my friend! Just bought a copy as well as posting on my personal and professional FB Pages. Can’t wait to try this. Plus, the paypal thing worked great. I really gotta put some effort into my website, its a mess right now. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Oh, and the website I used (www.e-junkie.com) did all the work for me with emails, handling the money, etc. I can’t believe I didn’t do this ages ago!!

11. Sounds intriguing. I have a paleo primal friendly bake mix I periodically buy and use to make focaccia with and have made pizza and bread sticks and rolls with in the past. It’s not cheap though. I just might buy your recipe for the cost of another one of those mixes.

• No, you’re not buying it Rachel!!! I am sending you a download link now, check your inbox in a minute. :)

12. A note to anyone who purchased the recipe before 5 pm today: I forgot to mention an important step in the cracker making process! You need to poke holes in the crackers before you bake them. They’ll puff up in places if you don’t. Actually, the puffy bits get extra crispy and are pretty delicious but if you poke a few holes in the crackers first, they’ll be prettier. :)
    I’ve amended the file for anyone who purchases it from this point on.
    Thanks!

13. Hi Tara
    I’ve just downloaded your recipe, sounds delicious! Before I start, though, could you please tell me what is ” Half and Half”? Once, you pick yourself up off the floor from laughing, I will tell you that I am an Aussie and I have never heard of it… but we do have plenty of grass-fed stuff available, and I’m guessing its some kind of dairy product? Thanks, Annie :)

• Half and half is what people generally have in their coffee over here. It’s half cream and half milk, but you could use full cream, or whipping cream, or coconut milk. :)

• Thankyou! We have plenty of cream! I’m looking forward to giving it a go. Cheers. :)

14. I’m diabetic. Do you know the net carbs per serving by any chance?

• No I don’t, but the fat in the recipe helps to lessen the insulin response. Making the pizza crust and adding extra cheese and meat helps even further. Just don’t overdo it and eat the whole batch in one sitting!!!

• I’m going to buy the recipe and I’m going to figure out the net carbs . I’ll be glad to pass it along if you like.

• That would be lovely, thanks! I didn’t design this recipe to be low carb, however, just Paleo/Primal. :)

• Yes please do I’m diabetic too need to know carbs in these foods?

• I’d definitely love to know how many carbs. I watch my carbs too.

This recipe may not be for you, then. It is not a low carb or weight loss recipe. :)

15. I bought the recipe and had planned on printing it from my phone however I ran into some trouble. When I tried to transfer it to my email, I was blocked from doing do. Now I can’t find it to try to print it from my phone. Can you help me?

• I believe the file is protected to stop people from sending it out via email, so transferring it wouldn’t be an option. There is a limit of 3 attempts to download. However, once it’s on your computer you can print it as often as you’d like.
      It’s a .pdf file, so perhaps accessing it from a computer would be your best bet. I’ll reactivate your code so that you can try again. Check your email in a minute! :)

16. Wondering if their is a way to know all the ingredients? My family and I have so many food intolerances I don’t want to buy it then not be able to use it.

• LOL it’s because of intolerances that I created this recipe! Why don’t you email me a list of all the things you want to avoid and I’ll let you know if the recipe is safe? If for some reason you aren’t able to use it, I can refund your money. I’m totally chill like that. :)

17. Tara, always happy to help someone as talented and passionate about your art as you are!

• Thank you, I appreciate it!!!

18. Hi Tara,

I just downloaded my copy. I can’t wait to try the recipes. One thing you might wish to fix in the next version is to replace yucca with yuca. Yuca is the tuber, yucca is an ornamental plant.

Cheers,
    Tony

• ha ha I actually knew that. I totally forgot. :)
      Note to everyone: don’t use the ornamental plant. Use the root you’ll find at the market. :)

19. I am also allergic to pitted fruits (think coconut) and nuts like almond. Does your recipe include these things? I can’t eat tons of gluten free food because it uses flours made from these things!

• The recipe is both coconut and nut free. :)

20. O.M.F.G! Tara, you are a genius!! HOW did you figure this out?!
    Made tortillas with the Paleo recipe (garnet yams) tonight and they tasted CHEESY. Awesome for those of us that cannot eat dairy. Rolled small balls of dough between parchment paper, peeled it off, pre-baked them as recommended and fried in bacon fat. Delish! My son was ecstatic! Stuffed himself silly with the things.

Next batch will be for the boy’s hamburger buns tomorrow lunch. Can’t wait to see how he likes those. …Then maybe some copycat “cheese-it” crackers for chicken liver pate…

Oh boy, I’m gonna have to watch my carb intake now!

• Made another batch of dough today using my food processor. Worked really well, except that the triple batch was almost too much for it. For singe or double batches, it’s fabulous: well-mixed and super-smooth. Thanks again for developing this recipe, Tara! I look forward to the possibility of a Paleo Dough cookbook. :)

21. Just a thought…. wouldn’t this recipe make great PANKO BREAD CRUMBS?!! I don’t like any of the other gluten-free bread crumb solutions I’ve tried. I guess we would use the basic cracker recipe… any alterations?

• What a great idea! I’ve never tried this, so I can’t really say what would work best, but I think either putting the crackers in the food processor, or trying to cut the buns into cubes, toasting them into croutons and then the food processor would probably work. I don’t know what the texture would be like, or the absorbency… try it and let us know! :)

• I think the dough is too sticky but if you try it, let us know!

• If your dough is too sticky, try roasting the root veg instead of boiling it. I don’t boil mine, this may be making a huge difference in the amount of liquid in some of your guy’s recipes.

• For yuca, do you peel and cut before roasting or can you roast it whole?

Yes, it needs to be peeled and cut up. The bigger the pieces, the longer it will take. I usually boil my yuca and it takes about an hour to become translucent. You may need a little more flour if something is boiled rather than roasted, so roasting it would be ideal for this recipe. You can find detailed instructionshere. :)

• Thank you, Tara, for the roasting info. I’m dying to try to make the crackers into panko crumbs, but I actually had to go out and buy a rolling pin. Yes. Never been much of a baker…. I’ll let you know how it turns out…

22. I got this comment in an email from someone who had tried making the dough, and didn’t have the best results. I thought I’d address it here, in case anyone else is having the same problem.

I had to use a bunch more flour before I got anything like dough. If I just used the amount you talk about, I end up with a consistency of batter instead of dough.

I tried rolling the dough out last night for crackers but it got stuck to the paper it was so thin… I’ll try again with rolling it out because I want to make pizza dough. I miss pizza. Real pizza that you can pick up and eat rather than cauliflower-crust-eat-with-a-fork pizza!

Yes, the dough will first have a batter consistency, before you add the extra amount of flour (the divided part). There are TWO separate steps for adding flour to the dough. You may need a little more, depending on how much of the other ingredients you’ve used. The reason I split adding the flour into two steps is exactly for this reason. If you add it all at the beginning, then you may have too much for your wet ingredients, and you’ll have to mess around with adding more of them as the dough will be too dry and will crack. By adding some at the end, you can add it a little bit at a time, until your dough is at the perfect consistency – smooth and silky, with no cracking. You may not need the entire amount listed in the recipe, you may need a little more. It will also depend on the amount of liquid in the other ingredients you’ve used.

The dough should be silky smooth and you should be able to make it into smooth balls or buns. You should also be able to roll it out into a pizza crust with a rolling pin. It does stick to the parchment paper when you’ve rolled it out – you won’t be able to roll it out, remove it and put it somewhere else. This is why you need to put the plastic wrap on top — it will even stick to the rolling pin if you don’t. Roll it out on the parchment, and put THE ENTIRE THING on a cookie sheet and then chuck it in the oven.

It WILL detach from the parchment as it bakes. Before it’s baked, you can scrape it off (I do this with crackers to the edge bits to make the final product into a square) and the bits you remove can be reused, but they won’t come off the parchment in a single piece like traditional pastry or bread dough.

You can totally pick this pizza up. It holds together very well and is insanely delicious. I think I may do a video of me rolling it out so you guys can see how I do it.

• I’m wondering if you actually stick with the batter, and even make it a little more liquidy, how it would cook up if you poured it into a frying pan like pancakes… might make awesome tortillas, or it may be a waste of ingredients. Anyone up for trying it?? :)

• My dough made with butternut squash was much softer than the previous, and worked well in the frying pan (only small ones, and used them with my breakfast)

• I made focaccia today using your recipe. I made it the way I used to use the brazillian style tapioca based focaccia or all purpose bread mix I used to buy. I used your paleo recipe but used almond milk instead of coconut milk, used half as much oil, and I didn’t add the extra flour. I also added 1 tsp. baking powder that I used to add the mixes I bought if they didn’t contain leavening already.

I mixed it all in the food processor and left it sticky (as a batter). This is what I used to do with the mix I bought. Next I poured and scraped the mixture onto an oiled, parchment lined 9.5 x 11 x 1 inch baking pan that fits in my toaster oven. I oiled the top of the parchment before putting dough on it. I wet my hands and spread the sticky dough out to cover the entire surface. Baked it for 20 minutes, then added my favorite toppings! It turned out fantastic! I was able to pick up pieces with my hands just like I used to with the mix I used to buy.

I plan to try your recipe with the extra flour you advise setting aside, to see how it turns out. I also plan to try spreading the dough thicker (maybe even using a 9-inch round cake pan) and adding dried or fresh herbs to the dough for focaccia to see how it is.

Great recipe you created! Brilliant work you did, really!

• I made it the right way tonight! I used [edited] and I used the Paleo version because I just started a Whole30 two days ago… so no dairy and that includes cheese! (darn!) I made a triple batch and the figures you use are way more accurate when the baker doesn’t fail (me!). The triple batch Paleo was the original [edited] plus only [edited] more to the total batch. I used [edited] and I used [edited]. On a few of the ones I baked tonight I threw a few poppy seeds because this recipe really resembles hard rolls (yes, I’m from NJ where we had hard rolls, not stale rolls!).
      Love this! I am now going to link this in my next blog so that anyone that might be reading my world can come visit yours and have their taste buds tingled!

Thank you so much Peg, I’m really glad you liked the recipe. Wait ’til you make crackers! Sorry, but I had to edit your comment a little, you gave away most of the recipe and we don’t want that, do we? ;)

23. Holy crap on a cracker!!! Just make 4 rounds (I didn’t get the rounded mound as you did…but I’ll work on that) and WOOOOOHOOOO! I am going to have a field day with this recipe! My only tweeks will be a tad less salt (just my preference) and I will use most of the oil, keep a tiny bit back if I need it (I can always add) as mine were a bit oily.

Thank you so very much – worth WAY MORE than $4…..priceless! I forsee crackers, tortillia’s, bread stickes and much much more!

While we don’t suggest you use crap as a topping for the crackers, we’re very pleased that you’re pleased. If you use cheese, you definitely don’t need the full amount of salt, and of course, salt is always subjective. :) Another tweak you can try is to add 1/2 tsp baking powder if you’re making buns or rolls.
    If you are looking for ideas for toppings, here’s a picture of our dinner tonight:

Pizza using Magical Primal and Paleo Pizza Dough

• LOL! Well, I would agree with the “crap” part….was a tad excited as I’ve tried so many and blech!
      Baking powder….I was wondering about that. Will do that with today’s batch. BTW…last night’s dinner, grassfed hamburger on a homemade bun. I wanted to lick the plate! (I looked for you on instagram to give a shout out to (as I’ve been doing all last night), but didn’t find you)

I’m not on Instagram, I had to draw the line with all the social media somewhere. :)

24. Does anyone know how long this will last a room temp? I’m planning a backpacking trip and these might be nice to take along.

The crackers will keep well for a while. I had some last over a week before they were eaten up. The buns need to be wrapped up tightly; by day 3, I’ve needed to zap them in the microwave because they were stale. However, 10 seconds in the microwave and they were beautiful again. Unfortunately, you won’t have access to a microwave so that doesn’t help you.

• But I WILL have a fire. :-) Thanks!

Ah, fire! The most Primal of all cooking equipment. I would try wrapping the buns in tin foil and roasting them shortly. Or put them in the coals for a bit. Hope it works, please let us know!!

• Hey Jennifer! It was so great to meet you at AHS this weekend!! :)

25. Great recipe – thanks for working so hard on it and making it available for us, I’ve bought it and intend to try it later this week.

I’m in the UK, so for anyone wanting to convert the Oven Temperature…click here. ;)

Also, for UK cooks too… Half and Half Cream as already said further above in the comments is half cream and half milk, but you could use full cream, or whipping cream, or coconut milk… where the mixture is an equal blend of 1 portion of full-fat whole milk with 1 portion of Light Cream (where Light Cream in the US = “SingleCream in the UK) (portions measured by volume).

Thanks Claire!

26. I finally made the Paleo version today with a few tweaks due to laziness. It turned out well and I thought I’d share what I did here. I didn’t want to mix it with my hands so I used my food processor. I added the first three ingredients, blended it up, then switched to the dough blade (which I don’t think was needed and won’t do again.) With the food processor running, I added the wet ingredients. It was very wet so I used the additional flour plus another 1.5T. It still looked wet so I decided to go the focaccia route. I dumped the batter/dough into an 8×8 dish because my 9×13 broke. I baked for 20 minutes, split it in half and broiled to finish off the middle. Used it for sandwiches! My family liked it and I’m going to try making the crackers tomorrow trying to follow the directions from beginning to end. ;-)

27. How easy are the ingredients to get a hold of? I live in Germany, so some of my options are a bit limited.

I lived in Germany for 10 years, so I know from experience that you will have no problem getting any of these ingredients. You may need to go to an Asian market for the tapioca flour, but everything else is readily available. (You can also order it on Amazon) I also list alternatives if you aren’t able to find something in particular or if you have any intolerances. :)

• Awesome! Will definitely be purchasing when I get home from work. I just didn’t want to buy the recipe, then find out I would have to buy everything on Amazon then wait a month to actually make it.

On a side note, where in Germany were you guys stationed? We’re currently at Spang.

• I was at Geilenkirchen for 10 years, but not stationed there. Met my husband who DID get stationed there and he whisked me away. :( We went to Japan town in Dusseldorf a lot to get Asian supplies but I’m sure you could find something closer to you.

• The hardest part was actually finding a kitchen scale. Two home/kitchen supply stores didn’t have it, but the grocery store (REWE) did. It was even on sale! The commissary had everything else. Hubby was super impressed with the buns, especially when he found out what the bread consisted of. Tomorrow, we’ll be attempting pizza for dinner. :-)

28. Is this recipe suited for someone who needs to eat low starch/carb? I usually try to avoid large amounts of added starches like arrowroot, tapioca, etc. Thank you!

This recipe is not low carb.

29. Hi. I’m in the UK. Does the recipe have any ingredients that I might not be able to find here?
    Thanks

• Nope, you should be able to get everything readily. You can make substitutions for almost every ingredient, anyway. :)

30. We made rolls tonight and they were great! I didn’t put in the cheese, but made them with butter and sweet potatoes, and we really enjoyed them! They still seem doughy inside though they cooled for quite a while and felt cool. Maybe my butter sub? My grain-free friend will be so excited when I bring them over tomorrow! I think pizza will be next…

31. Hi, I just bought the recipe off Paleomom’s link on FB on my ipad. I couldn’t print it and it didn’t store onto my ipad and now it is gone, once I moved off that page! How can I get it back? I was planning to make it today!!

• Hi Dana,
      Respond to the initial email you were sent and include your transaction number. I’ll reset your download link, so you can access it again. Or, try clicking on the download link yourself and redownloading the file. You have 3 attempts before it expires. Let me know how it goes! :)

32. Does you recipe contain whole egg or just the yolk? I am following paleo AIP but I suspect that I have some additional intolerances (I’m trying to figure it all out). I currently cannot eat eggs at all but I am planning on reintroducing egg yolks in january and it would be great if I could celebrate with an AIP friendly bread rolls.

• If you can do flax, then you can skip the egg altogether. :) There are amounts listed in the Ingredients section. You could use an egg yolk, I suppose, although I’ve never tried that, I bet it would work. Let us know!

33. Bought it!!! Pages are so pretty too! Can’t wait to play with it! :)

34. It seems from the comments that this recipe involves chopping and roasting tubers – is that correct? I just want to know how labor-intensive it is. If it takes a lot of work or time, I’m unlikely to use the recipe very often. Also, does it call for a blender or food processor? Thanks!

• Sometimes when I’m pressed for time, I chuck a sweet potato in the microwave and prepare the other ingredients while it cooks. Honestly, now that I’ve made it a few times, I can have a single batch of this dough ready to go in the oven in less than 10 minutes. You can alway prepare tubers ahead of time – if I’m using yucca I’ll cook up a bunch of it and then freeze it in the correct portion – or you can make a triple batch of the dough, divide it and freeze it. It freezes really well. :) There are instructions for the triple batch in the download.

• Oh, and although this dough does REALLY well with a stand mixer, the recipe has instructions to do it by hand. No equipment required. :)

• Thanks for your quick reply! If I don’t have a mixer, will it count as an upper body workout making it by hand? I do have a Cuisinart.

35. Bought this recipe after reading several rave reviews about it. I made it a bit ago and tried the rolls, crackers, and tortillas. I love that it’s a versatile dough that I can make several things with and in small quantities. That said, I had the same problem that I have with Pao de Queijo with the rolls: awesome on the outside and gummy on the inside. My husband won’t touch the stuff because he hates the texture so much. Haha. I’ve found coconut flour and tapioca together solves that problem, so I’ll try adding some coconut flour in the next time I make the rolls. On the other hand, the cheese crackers are AWESOME. It’s nice to have something crunchy that doesn’t call for almond flour (do people really like the taste of partially burnt almonds?), and they are sturdy enough to hold up to a serious dip. In my pre-grain-free days, I used to make the tastiest chicken nuggets with crushed up saltines. I’m going to have to use these crackers and see if they’ll fry up similarly as a breading! Thanks for a flexible recipe!

You’re welcome! Try letting the rolls cool completely before cutting into them, and that doughy texture should go away (especially with the Paleo version). Although your husband still may not like it, because it’s still chewy. I make my pizza crusts pretty thin and don’t have that issue with them. Thanks for the review!

• Yes, cooling does help the texture some, but he’s picky. Alas! Just means more for me. Actually, what it really means is he’ll just want to use all the dough for crackers instead. ;)

36. Oh my God. For real? These are so crispy crunchy. Just made the crackers and have been staring at the oven forever…waiting. What a great recipe! I will say this, the thinner the cracker the better the texture. Thank you for creating this genius!

Ha ha! Finally people have moved on from pizza and are trying the crackers. Thank you so much! I’m really glad you like them. Please tell me you made the cheese ones?? They are soooo good. Although the paleo ones are good too. :) And you’re right, the thinner they are, the better the texture — and the quicker they cook. :)

37. Hi Primal Girl,
    I found your recipe through nomnompaleo.com. I purchased it because I am following the autoimmune protocol and the ejunkie website said that it would be safe for me to eat. Unfortunately, the asterisk that you added here on your blog about the inclusion of eggs is not on the ejunkie website where your recipe is actually sold. I will still try the recipe, but I just thought that you could add the asterisk to the ejunkie site for others who are avoiding eggs (http://www.e-junkie.com/252961/product/489265.php). This dough looks amazing. I need to pick up a food scale to make this right away!
    Por

The recipe has a substitution for eggs already included in it. It’s hidden in the “Ingredients” chapter, in the egg section. :)

• I did see the substitution, but the AIP diet doesn’t allow any seeds either. I do have to say that I just made the dough (there’s tapioca flour everywhere!!!!), and mmMmmm! It’s really tasty. I went all out and made the triple batch. Thanks so much for adding the extra quantities. It was really helpful when shopping.

• Por, I just made flatbread the other day (like on NNP’s deconstructed samosas recipe) without eggs or flax and it turned out really well. I couldn’t tell the difference between with or without eggs. I wasn’t overly fond of the little buns I made using flax instead of eggs but that’s my personal preference.

38. I also found your recipe through nomnompaleo.com. I bought a scale today and the kiddo and I whipped up a batch of dough. I leave the dirty work to her because she loves it. Anyway, we made some rolls with the first batch, but were impatient to wait for them to cool, so we whipped up a second batch and made 1/2 into pizza crust and the other half we made tortillas. Oh boy. SO. AWESOME! With the second batch I dumped in a tsp of garlic powder and 1/2 tsp of Italian seasonings. The pizza crust is in the fridge awaiting toppings, but we ate the entire second half of the dough as tortillas. Best money I have spent in a while. I can’t wait to play around with it and see if I can make “sandwich thins” type bread. As I was inhaling the tortillas, I was day dreaming about putting cinnamon and other such spices in the dough, then layering some thin sliced apples over the top and drizzling some chocolate or something over the top.

I am SO thankful to you for coming up with this recipe and I can’t wait to see what else you have in store!

Wow, thanks! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. A touch of sugar/honey and cinnamon in the dough in fantastic — plus if you have a deep fryer you can make thin “patties” and make yourself a kind-of donut. (Just don’t throw a ball in there – the middle won’t cook, but I made little donut shapes and they worked AMAZINGLY well.) Thanks for the great review!

39. Sorry to be a pest, but how do you store the leftovers (rolls, sandwich bread, etc)?

Actually, that’s a great question and one that I don’t answer in the recipe itself. Normally, we don’t have any leftovers, ha ha ha. But on the off chance we do, I usually wrap them in tin foil and then in a ziploc and store them in the fridge. I’ll zap them in the microwave to make them soft again (would probably also work in the toaster or oven, too). You don’t have to use tin foil if you have a problem with it, but I’ve found tin foil is the BEST way to keep bread fresh and from getting freezer burn so I use it a lot for stuff like this.

• Thanks!

40. In a word… WOW! You’ve truly created the best recipe EVER for crackers and pizza. You sold me with your description about being tired of wasting time, money and effort on countless recipes, only to be disappointed. I decided to start with the pizza dough, and by the time I was done rolling it out, I knew I had to make crackers. Immediately. So without even trying the finished product (pizza was still in the oven!) I embarked on a double recipe of primal crackers. Let me tell you, my family was ecstatic with how amazing they were. I lightly dusted them with sea salt, crushed dried rosemary and thyme. HEAVEN! Two days later, they’re *gulp* all gone and were as crisp as ever. We have especially missed eating guacamole and crackers, but we have certainly made up for lost time! As my husband says, these are artisan quality – better than anything we’ve ever bought. My children (almost 4 and 2) finally have crackers that I feel good feeding them. Oh, the guilt I’ve experienced every time they see their friends eating Goldfish – they run at them like ravenous beasts! Crackers have been one of the few temptations that my little ones face regularly, and I haven’t been successful at denying them a handful at the park when someone offers.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you! (And thanks to Michelle/Nomnom Paleo for mentioning it in her blog. That girl has discerning taste – knew your recipe would be a winner!)

To anyone hesitating, I promise this will be the best $3.99 you’ve spent in a looooooooong time.

41. It took me a while to commit to buying (because I’m cheap), I’m all good to go, now. I printed it out and laminated the page, so I could keep it near me in the kitchen without ruining it.

I have an odd question – while the colour may be a little off-putting for some, would beets be starchy enough as an ingredient? Guess if I were completely inventive, I could add chocolate (cocoa powder) and make chocolate buns, a sweet pizza or cookie-like crackers (with the beets/chocolate mixture)

I’m not sure how beets would do, but you could try it. I think the color would be really weird, which for me would affect the taste, since I really look at my food when I eat it. Let me know if you try it!

• I really want to know if the beets worked for you, as we love them. Thanks

42. Hi

My first batch of dough worked great, then I messed up the next batch. I tried again last night, half into crackers and half into buns. Loved the crackers though next time I’ll roll them out thinner.

But… trying to correct something I’m doing that isn’t working out great. The buns were a bit hockey puckish. How long do you knead the dough for? Not sure I am arriving at “silky”. I’ve baked quite a bit and this dough doesn’t seem to need much kneading. So maybe I’m not doing enough?

Finally bought a scale so whew! got that part right.

Thanks

• I have tried different shapes for the buns and what I find works best is to make a ball, flatten it out a bit, and then use the side of your hand to squish the middle down (so it’s kind of like a U-shape, but not that high on the sides.) Then, when it bakes the middle rises up to reach the height of the sides. Oven temp is CRUCIAL for this recipe. If the buns are not rising after about 15 minutes of baking, try increasing the temp up to 450 and see if that works for next time. I don’t actually knead the dough for that long – I’ve started making it in a stand mixer and it blends quite well.

• Thanks for your help. The crackers turned out great. The buns were damp in the middle when i cut them in half. Is that normal? or were they not cooked enough? The first time I made the buns they were awesome. Cant’ seem to replicate it though.

Hopefully all our screwups help you somehow, appreciate your time in answering questions.

You may be making the buns too thick. You can make them as big around as you want, but the height is important. If they’re too tall, they won’t cook in the middle, no matter how long you leave them in there. :)

43. Forgot to mention that I heard through the grapevine you might publish a book of magic dough recipes. I look forward to that!

• Yup, will start working on it as soon as my HS book is closed out. It’s gonna be amazing!! :)

44. Tara thank you SO much for this recipe. I am not a baker so had no clue how much yuca was required so I bought the biggest five yuca roots the store had. I cooked them in my pressure cooker, made quick work of that! However, I will probably not have to buy yuca for the rest of the year! LOL but I made up individual portions so I’ll be good to go. Just made the pizza crust and it is amazing. I can’t wait to make crackers and the hamburger buns. Love your story of the McDonald’s quarter pounders. Thank you, thank you and thank you. I don’t know who could complain about paying $3.95 for this recipe. You are awesome and I’m so glad to be able to help you feed your kids! =)

45. I just ate a hamburger on a bun.

Wow! That’s something I never thought I’d EVER do again.

THANK YOU!!

Everything worked out great. All of your substitutions were fantastic. Thanks for that! I’m allergic to so many things that people call me the bubble boy. I’d have been out at avocado oil, coconut oil gives it such a nice subtle sweetness.

This is a total game changer for me. I can’t say thank you enough.

46. Hi – I just spent the better part of a day working with this recipe. Made the dough (Paleo) and then first tried small muffin-size rolls. They came out so chewy in the middle they were inedible. Then did crackers. They were still a little chewy in the middle after 12? min cooking. I kept adding time. Then took them out, left the house, came back, put them back in and cooked for another 7 min I think. Finally, no chewy middle. I think I have crackers.

I guess the dough has to be really thin, and you have to cook a long time – although my oven temp may be challenged. The dough was silky – used yams – used a scale with gram measures. Not sure what is going wrong, but the middle chewy is horrible – especially for the rolls.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Harriet

The oven temp is REALLY important. When I was developing this, I played around with different temperatures, and the recipe failed horribly. If you think your oven is off, try bumping it up to 450 and see how that goes. For crackers, the thinner the better. But the rolls and pizza crust are fairly thick and they cook just fine. However, they are fairly chewy, it’s the nature of the beast.

• I have had to increase the oven temperature – not because my oven is off, but because I live at a relatively high altitude… altitude plays the heck with recipe timings – you have to remember things cook slower at a high altitude because water boils slower… so increase the oven temp or cook them for loner.

47. This is an awesome recipe, and worth every penny! So far I’ve made rolls and “tortillas,” which I thought were more like naan (I guess I rolled them out a bit thicker than tortillas). On my second try, I used melted butter as the fat in the dough, and mixed in a little minced garlic and jalapeños to make spicy garlic naan. It was super delicious with nom nom paleo’s keema! Looking forward to trying a pizza. Thanks for sharing your genius!

48. My buns/rolls didn’t do so well – they were OK; but not awesome (perhaps under-baked, or something).

However, I cooled the dough for a while, and rolled out a pizza crust later in the day.
    I baked it on a pizza stone (still on the parchment), and wow, it was great.

After putting the desired toppings on it; hubby put it on a pan with holes in it (a pizza pan) and melted the ingredients for a few minutes on the BBQ.

An acquaintance ate the other half, as I wanted to share it with someone who would appreciate a grain free alternative to the ‘junk food’ you can buy that resembles pizza crust.

I have to say, it was awesome.

49. Had to come back and leave another comment. I made “fried dough” with this awesomeness you came up with. Just flattened out a bit of dough, tossed it (gently) into my skillet full of coconut oil, and watched it puff up and turn golden. Then I sprinkled some cinnamon and sugar on it and went to town! I really can’t make more than one batch at a time or I would eat it all in one sitting. So good.

That’s awesome! I added a bit of sugar to the dough and made doughnuts. This stuff is AMAZING in the deep fryer. :)

• I just have to say “oh, yeah!” I made a batch earlier this week and with one of the “rolls” I flattened it and slid it into a frying pan that was already hot with coconut oil. I used my tongs to flip it over. I flipped it a couple of times and then put it on a paper towel to drain. Add cinnamon and coconut sugar and instant YUM! For all those folks out there who thought they’d never have this fair-food treat again, here is your chance. For those of you who expect it to taste e x a c t l y like the fried dough or elephant ears you get at the fair, don’t bother. It is excellent and it is a great substitute but it will not be exact. It is better because it is still good for you! I’m going to try it when I use pumpkin as the root veggie… and I’m going to use a little more liquid to make it more gooey and easily “poured” into the hot oil. See how it turns out then!

50. Can’t wait to try this after my Whole 30 is over in a week! I love how the dry ingredients are measured by weight, makes it more accurate. Time to gather my ingredients :)

51. Can’t find the post on pizza pockets to add more…
    Anyway, I made a double batch of dough in my food processor, and was pleased that it used much less tapioca flour. Also used coconut oil, and it works well.

Baked a batch of TACO pockets, using cooled taco meat instead of pizza fillings. They were amazingly good. My son will be getting these in his lunchbox. And perhaps Burger pockets with ketchup for dipping, pizza pockets, and apple pie pockets. Lots of great ideas here in the comments! Can’t wait for more!

I have a feeling that cookbook is going to be HUGE once people get baking with it and post more! :)

52. I just bought the recipe and I cannot wait to get out of work so I can run home and try it. This is true awesomeness. Just a quick question: I keep plantains in the house because I make The Paleo Mom’s muffins all the time. Do you think plantains could be used instead of root vegetables? Thank you so much for this, I never thought I would be able to eat bread again!

• Yes, plantains would work very nicely!

• Would you just puree the raw plantains or do you need to cook them first?

• This is a good question. I tried the recipe using boiled sweet potatoes, and it was an utter, miserable failure–way way way too much liquid and it never got past the pancake batter stage, and I added at least twice the called for amount of flour. I’m pretty sure it was the yams that added too much moisture. I’m going to make another batch with roasted yams and see if I can get it to turn out. I’m making paleo muffins today, perhaps I’ll also try it with raw plantains, though I feel like they’ll probably be too wet. It’s an experiment!

• I used plantains twice and I cooked them. The raw ones seemed too tough to me. But who knows? Maybe if you liquefied them first? Do people eat plantains raw?

53. I made pizza last night and my family loved it! I did, however, run into a curious thing. The first time I worked with this dough, I did it in my 11 cup Cuisinart food processor and it took quite a bit more tapioca flour than listed to make it kneadable. Yesterday, I decided to make it in a bowl and it was much more like you described. When I rolled out the dough, I realized I had several chunks of potato left so I threw it in the food processor to smooth out. Imagine my surprise when it transformed from a workable dough to thick muffin batter that had to be spooned out! It rolled out well as long as plastic wrap was covering every inch so all’s well that ends well. Any ideas why it becomes so wet when exposed to high speeds?

Making tortillas today!

• So, silly me. A few minutes after posting, I realized that tapioca, like potato, won’t do well in a high-powered machine, as it will break apart the starch molecules. So, mix by hand if you want a dough that is shapeable.

By the way, I made the tortillas and they were AMAZING! We filled them will leftover pizza toppings and rolled them up.

• I have sucessfully made this half a dozen times using my Kitchenaid… no problems at all beyond the first time (it was really wet – then I realised that even though I had doubled up most of the ingredients I had forgotten to double up the second batch of tapioca flour…). Since that time it has worked well.

Have mostly made bread rolls, but i did try making a baguette style loaf and it worked well…

Am planning on trying it for naan bread with my next curry!

• I think it may be the potato more than tapioca. I tried once using white potatoes (before I had a scale so may have had too much starch altogether) and I pretty much got glue. As I was starting up the food processor a little voice wondered about the potato but I pressed on. And then ended up throwing it out.

• Good call! What do you normally use for the root vegetable? I’ve used sweet potato and white potato and both times the dough was more like batter without adding a lot more flour. I have very easy access to a plethora of “exotic” root veggies but who knows how they are grown.

By the way, I am a very experienced cook so I know I’m not screwing up the recipe twice in a row.

• I have only had the buns / rolls turn out edible one time. That was the first time and I was thrilled. Crackers and pizza crust came out great every time. As in hide from the rest of the family great.

I’ve used plantains, white potatoes and yucca. The plantains worked the best. But… the yucca I had kept in the fridge for a few days, may have been helpful to heat it up before using again. I had chunks of it left in the dough.

I have two (2!) thermometers in my oven so pretty sure the temp is right. Next time I try the buns/ rolls I am going to try 450degrees.

If I use white potatoes again (lots of them here from the farmers market) I’ll weigh them and mix by hand.

• This was exactly my experience! I made the dough in a stand mixer, and it was great until I let the machine run for a while after I had added the wet ingredients. The dough seemed to get wetter and wetter. I think I’ll make it in a bowl and see if that helps.

• I love using white sweet potatoes. Bake them (boiling makes the potatoes retain water from what I’ve found) and then peel the skin off and then put them in your food processor to make whipped sweet potatoes. I found that the white sweet potatoes are more firm and when I process them they actually became more firm – almost like they would stick to the spoon (but they don’t – Yuca sticks to the spoon!). The sweet potato flavor adds a wonderful edge to the crust. I have made this 4 times now. Once with sweet potato boiled (wow, had to add more than double the tapioca flour), twice with white sweet potato (baked) and once with yuca boiled. The yuca is good for this because a large root makes a ton, but it does take a long while to soften.

54. Will your book have substitutions? And can i preorder your book? If so can you provide me with those details? I just found your blog and am so relieved to have found some answers. i to suffer from hs and this site has provided a world of comfort. truly thank you

• No pre-orders for the book yet but stay tuned very soon for a post on doing just that. The book provides answers on substitutions and a variety of things you can do to improve your overall health & wellness.

55. Thanks for this recipe! Has anyone modified the ingredients slightly to make pancakes?

56. My last batch was very, very wet, and I didn’t do anything different apart from to use some frozen mashed potato…. For somereason it seemed to be bleeding an awful lot of liquid (the potato),, I drained off what I could, but even so the dough was extra wet.
    My advice is to not try freezing the excess mash,….

57. I never received my recipe !! I paid and over a month now and nothing !! Can I get a refund !!!!!????!!!!

Hi Kristine,
    You should have received an email to the address you supplied through PayPal immediately after your purchase. There is a 72 hour limit for the download, so it is completely expired now. I will check through the list of transactions, find you, and reset your code. However, it is up to you to access the email, download the recipe and save it to your hard drive. Please email me directly if you continue to have problems. Sorry about this!

• …And that being said, I can’t find your purchase. You’ll need to send me an email (click the Contact tab in the upper right hand corner) with the name you used, and the email address. Thanks!

58. Just wondering, … would this work for hot dog wraps like pigs in a blanket?

59. I cannot find the info on egg substitution in the ingredients section. Was that in the original version? I bought mine probably the first day it was out!

60. Hi Tara,

I’ve been toying with the idea of living a Paleo-friendly lifestyle for a while now, in the interest of weight loss (and the fact that anything processed freaks me out). But, I never realized that my HS could benefit from this change, as well! If that is true, I would be grateful beyond words.

I have purchased your dough recipe and am super excited to try it. However, I plan to try your ‘detox’ suggestion(s), outlined in your HS Part II post first. Fingers crossed because I am so tired of this isolation.

I am so glad to have found your site. Thank you for giving a voice to those of us who are too ashamed to speak. :)

61. are the nutrition facts posted somewhere? i would like to buy the recipe, but i ALWAYS check nutritional information before purchasing products.. particularly for carbohydrate/fiber/protein content :-)

Nope! No nutrition info anywhere. Because you have the opportunity to use a variety of different ingredients, I couldn’t possibly figure out what the nutritional info for any particular batch would be. Sorry! I can tell you it’s not low carb, it uses whole, real ingredients, and I haven’t gained a pound in 4 months of recipe development. :)

62. Still in love with this dough. The other night I made a triple batch (foolishly thinking it would last a little longer). Whenever I make the dough for non-sweet things, I add some garlic powder and Italian seasonings. Yum. I made two pizza crusts (one is in the freezer), some bread sticks, and some “bagels” using my doughnut pan. The intent with the bagels was to use them for sandwiches and such. They work well for sandwiches, but the kiddo and I also just like to eat them as is (or dipped in homemade chili).

I think the next batch I will try to make cinnamon rolls, as my Iowa hubby has a weird tradition of eating cinnamon rolls with chili. I think it’s because the school always served cinnamon rolls on chili day.

63. <3 this recipe 10/10 can't wait to make some more

64. I just got your recipe and wanted to be clear on one ingredient. When you refer to yams you mention Jewel and Garnet and refer to the colour looking like Cheese Nips. Can I safely assume that you are referring to sweet potatoes (family Convolvulaceae) not yams (family Dioscoreaceae)
    That being said have you heard of anyone using yams in your recipe? Yams are widely available here due to a substantial Caribbean migrant worker population whereas yucca root would be in the same category as hen’s teeth and orange bread would not please number 1.

• You can use a variety of root vegetables you just have to play around. In the US, “yams” are actually members of the sweet potato family. Garnets & Jewels, the “yams” with the rich orange flesh and reddish-brown exterior, are yes, botanically, sweet potatoes.

Now I have found Yuca to be labeled as cassava & that may help you find it. Just test out the new root vegetable and keep us posted.
      P.S. I live in Toronto and have tried Jamaican sweet potatoes (purple skins/white flesh) and they are very dry (which could be good).

• Thanks for the information Sarah. I’d heard of cassava but didn’t know it was such an important food until your reply sent me searching. I doubt that our smallish community has the ethnic base to support retailers bringing in cassava but I’ll be looking for those purple sweet potatoes. I expect to try your recipe with yams in the very near future and will report on the adventure.

• I have also tried the purple skin/white flesh sweet potato. I didn’t know they were Jamaican… but the only place I can buy them around here is Sonnewald’s Natural Food Store in Hanover, PA. I am going to be looking for starters for myself for the next growing season. These potatoes work great! They are much drier and can be roasted or boiled and still work well with this dough recipe and the added benefit of being a sweet potato makes this work well for me!

Great tip, thanks!

65. Hi there! I bought the recipe last week and tested it this weekend. I had a few issues. For one: tapioca flour is really messy! Two: once all my ingredients were combined, my dough was really wet. I made the Paleo version and ended up using half a bag of (Bob’s Red Mill) flour before it stopped sticking to my hands. I’m not sure if this was because I used canned pumpkin instead of mashed root vegetable? I didn’t think it would make that much of a difference. Anyway, I ended up baking two small pizza crusts. They are very close to a study wheat based crusts so that’s a plus. However, I found them a bit dry. It’s possible I overbaked (14 minutes). So, for my first attempt at this recipe was a miss but I may try it again to make dinner rolls. I know you put a lot of effort into developing this recipe so thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for the input! The thinner the dough, the less time you’re going to want to bake it for. Once you put toppings on it, it will soften up a bit, but should still stay crispy. (Leftover pizza in the fridge will soften considerably, but will still be sturdy.) About half a bag of flour is right – make sure you’re weighing it, not measuring it. The pumpkin may have had something to do with it, it is definitely more liquidy than sweet potato.

• Hi Heather, I had the same issue. I used sweet potato and had to add almost double the amount of tapioca flour to form, a soft dough. I thought possibly this might be due to reasons I made a triple batch, and possibly measured wrong. So I started over and made a single batch with the exact same outcome. The dough was extremely wet like thick brownie batter, to which I had to add double tapioca flour. The end result worked out and I was able to make small rolls for sliders, and they were delicious. But I wanted you to know, you weren’t alone in this venture.

• Hi Carolyn! Assistant Primal girl Sarah here. I was concerned with my sweet potatoes being to wet and I steamed them most of the way and the par-baked them in the over to finish and it really helped with the wetness factor. If you want to give that a try it might help. I didn’t need nearly as much flour after that. Just gotta watch them in the oven so they don’t over cook.

66. I just discovered breadfruit which is treated and cooked just like potatoes. Could this be used in this recipe since it’s really a fruit not a root vegetable?

I’ve never tried breadfruit, but I bet it would work wonderfully! Try it and let us know. :)

67. HI

Are you able to post any pics of your magical paleo version bread rolls? I can’t seem to find a pic of them plain, cut open. I’ve just made your dough and I’m not completely sold yet. The rolls are completely cooled but still very dough like. More success was had making the Tortillas, they seemed to work fine. I haven’t given up….yet

If the rolls are too doughy, you may have a touch too much moisture/liquid in the recipe. Try cutting back a little on the milk and oil, or roasting your root veg, to see if that improves the texture. They are going to be chewy no matter what you do, that is the nature of the recipe. But they shouldn’t be doughy or uncooked. You can try leaving them in the oven a little longer, or bumping the temp up to 450 degrees, as well. Sorry, at the moment I don’t have any pictures, I will take some next time I make the buns before my family eats them all!!!

68. Saw you live in PHX as well. Was just at LeeLee’s, aisle 9, and they have sweet potato starch as well as potato starch flour (and the Brazilian asle also sold Yoki brand manioc starch almidon dulce, which looks just like the ‘rolls’).. I bought all 3 to experiment. Will have to mix up a single batch w/out the normal root veg, and measure out one of these starches to see if I can duplicate the texture. Would be neat to have a premix powder dough ready anytime. :) Meanwhile really been enjoying the recipe over the past few wks!

• If you don’t have time or forgot to have a handy root veg laying around, modification with potato starch flour (which is so fine, the baked dough takes on a shortbread / cracker quality).

100g potato starch flour
      +1TBS avocado oil addtl
      +1 egg addtl

I keep playing, but I don’t add anymore coconut milk.. the dough started seeming sort of more on the sweet side. Previously I’ve been using mashed white potato, and the dough had a Cheez-It type flavor… this dough is more neutral.

• Hey MW I tried almond milk (un-flavored/unsweetened) in place of the coconut because I’m allergic to coconut and it wasn’t sweet at all. You may want to try it.

69. I bought your recipe and love it! I’ve made crackers, hamburger buns, loads of tortillas and donuts. Today I realized the dough works for gnocchi! I’m in heaven! I haven’t perfected the cooking time yet. But have discovered the dough stays light, fluffy and gnocchi-like. You’re brilliant. Thank you!

• Thank’s Sarah! I’m so happy you love it. I’m totally trying the gnocchi next!

• Sarah how did you make the donuts? what did you add or change in the recipe? thank you

70. Hi Tara,

I tried your recipe using mashed yuca and it was awesome! I froze the rest of my mashed yuca in the appropriate portions for use in the recipe but when I thawed it to make more batches of dough the texture of the yuca was crumbly and if squeezed there was a water “syrup” that exuded from the pulp. Is this characteristic of your frozen yuca??

Thank you!!

• Hi Marjorie, I sent you an email but wanted to let you know here as well. I personally make a triple batch of dough and freeze the dough not the yuca. Consider trying that if you’d like and I’ll ahve an answer about the frozen yuca for you early next week. Happy baking! – Assistant Primal Girl

71. I just have to add to the praise for this recipe. It is worth every.single.penny. If it had been $5 I would have still bought it. I can’t wait to play with all my new Paleo ‘bread’!! Thank you so much for crafting this for us. :)

72. I’ve made up a few batches of the Paleo dough and love it, such a treat to have crusty chewy hot rolls and actual pizza crust! The dough texture made me wonder how it would do if I added yeast so I did for my last batch – proofed in the same volume of water as an egg (I made a double batch with a single egg + proofed yeast). Worked quite well – rose slowly in the bowl and after I portioned and wrapped it in plastic wrap and stored in the fridge. I’m not sure it made any difference to the finished rolls though! A fun experiment regardless :)

73. Hello, I noticed that alot of people are commenting on adding root vegetables to the flour. I was wondering if this is the case for all the recipes? I have to stay away from sweet potatoes, since I am allergic to them and I would probably have to test the other root vegetables, if I have a reaction to them. I have to be very careful
    about certain ingredients, since I have chronic agioedema.

• For an autoimmune protocol diet you should be fine with the recipe in terms of your chronic agioedema. Just don’t use the nightshade root veggies. As for the sweet potato allergies I suppose it depends on what exactly you are allergic to. The recipe itself calls for yuca/cassava which is not related to the sweet potato/morning glory family at all and should not cause an allergic reaction. I say that with caution as I’m not a doctor and I don’t know all that you are allergic to. I suggest you try it and let me know how it turns out.

74. I’ve been following a Paleo food plan for about 18 months and never thought I’d be able to eat bread, or something bread-like again. Saw your recipe mentioned on Nom Nom Paleo’s blog and immediately purchased it. WOW! I made crackers, rolls and fried the dough for tortillas. YUM, thank you. Just have to make sure I only make it for special occasions as I ate the whole batch myself. Quite a treat.

75. We have tried making bread rolls with both the primal and paleo versions of this recipe. Very yummy!

But – both times the rolls have come out hollow? We’re using mashed potato as the starch and making 8 rolls out of 1 batch of dough. Any ideas?

• Hi Assistant Primal Girl Sarah here. Maybe change up your root vegetable to something with more density & really pack the dough tight. Are you adding the nutritional yeast? It might cause it to rise too much? I’m not sure and my rolls haven’t turned out hollow before so I haven’t had to fix the problem in my own kitchen. I use Yuca/cassava root & no yeast. Are you subbing a different type of oil? Hope we can figure this out. Let me know!

76. So delish. made it with japanese sweet potato. Great pizza crust.

77. This recipe is AMAZING! I first made pizza, and while it was in the oven I decided to make a second batch to try the rolls. While I was at that, I took a little of the second batch dough and added some sugar. The dough became almost liquid with the added sugar, and I was afraid it was not going to turn out well…..however, I poured it in a cookie sheet, and baked it for about 20 minutes. The result was very much like a cone waffle!!! The taste and texture was so similar to it, that we ended up eating it with ice cream!!!! Again, this is amazing! And the pizza, was the best gluten free pizza we’ve ever had, even my husband liked it, and that is a lot to say….

78. This recipe is AMAZING! I bought it awhile back and finally made it today! I used sweet potato and made the paleo version. I baked a couple rolls and also fried flatbread, from the description on nomnompaleo.com. This is a lifechanging recipe! I portioned the rest of the balls and have them in the fridge. I am going to experiment tomorrow with breakfast! I will be making a triple batch soon. I can’t wait to make a pizza with it.

• I’m so happy you love it Amy! Don’t hesitate to send us your fabulous uses for the dough with some pictures via email so we can keep up with all the good things our followers are baking up! I love doing a cinnamon/nutmeg version of the paleo dough for breakfast with my almond butter. Give it a try!

79. I cannot have eggs, would it be possible to use a flax egg replacement?

• Absolutely! Do you know the amounts to sub with? Email us if not and we are happy to share.

• I usually do 1 Tbs. ground flax and 3 Tbs. warm water per egg. Is that what you recommend?

• Yep!

80. I am very new to the world of paleo baking and am really looking forward to trying this recipe. I do not have any avocado oil at the moment so was planning on using butter instead. Since the amount of oil is given in cups instead of grams, does anyone know whether or not the butter needs to be measured when it is melted to make the substitution work? Thanks!

• Hi Liz! I use butter and it is delicious. I usually just measure out 1/4 cup of solid butter then melt it and add it to the recipe. Should be perfect. :) Enjoy & happy baking! – Sarah, Assistant PrimalGirl

81. Hi all! Just thought I’d put down some thoughts here as I have been making the paleo version for some time now and it has become a regular on my menu. Fantastic stuff, and so very much better and cheaper than store-bought junk. I don’t have a scale, I measure the ingredients and obviously adjust by appearance and texture and it always turns out great. It is so tasty and the crunchiness is awesome! The only trouble is that I want to have pizza every day now. :)

82. Awesome recipe, I just made some tortillas, even my husband loves ‘em which is just amazing for him. Grams is no prob’, that’s how we run in Aus.

Thanks for a fab recipe, worth every penny!

83. Hi! Love the tortillas! I’ve made the dough in advance and had success, but was wondering if you’ve ever made up a batch of tortillas before (and stored them refrigerated or frozen). Just trying to think of a way to make them accessible for a quick meal. Thanks!

• Hi Kate, I make the rolls and store them in the freezer. they defrost very well using microwave defrost or in my oven wrapped in foil. Not sure about the tortillas but it shouldn’t be a problem. Good luck and let us know how it turns out! – Sarah, Assistant PrimalGirl

84. I had forgotten about this recipe being for sale until I saw a post about it on The Paleo mom’s site & I realized that I needed to order it. Yay, I got it this afternoon! My town has a large Hispanic population so I’m going to look for the yuca root. If not I’ll try the plantains because I know we have that. Am I to steam the plantains before using them in the recipes?
    thanks, Rhoda

85. I bought the recipe earlier today after seeing a post about it on The Paleo Mom’s site. I’m interested in trying plantains in the recipe. Do I need to bake or steam them?
    thanks, Rhoda

• You can cook them however you’d like so that they end up the consistency of a mashed root vegetable as the final product. Good luck and let us know how it turns out! – Sarah, Assistant PrimalGirl

86. I absolutely love your bread recipe due to its versatility and convenience. It will definitely make it easier for my carb loading post workout, and will create a convenient vessel to stuff all of my vegetables and protein into, on, or hell, around. I lead a very active lifestyle and it has proven difficult on a primal diet to keep my carbohydrate intake adequate without overdoing it on fructose or eating an inordinate amount of baked, sauteed, or steamed potatoes. It’s funny you mentioned that this was an adaptation of a South American bread recipe, for constituents in the recipe very distinctly reminded of pan de yucca that I had tried in the past to replace glutinous bread. I absolutely cannot wait to try making hamburger buns! Do you have pictures of your completed hamburger buns? Or even photos of the process? I’m a little concerned about getting them right on the first try. Waste is not something I am overly fond of! :)

• Hi! The hamburger buns are featured on Tara’s Post Eating Out. Just read the post, it has all the pointers. Enjoy! – Sarah, Assistant PrimalGirl

87. Hi, I bought your recipe a couple of days ago. Just wanted to thank you for your work developing and testing both the primal and paleo version for us; I haven’t use It yet, but a pizza will be on the menu this week for sure! Would ypu recommend the primal or paleo version for pizza? Both will be yummy I guess :) A very big thank you from Spain!

88. All my wife wanted for her birthday was for me to learn how to make this recipe. That was yesterday – the results were so amazing I couldn’t help but make up another dough today. After reading these comments, I realized there are many more things to be made with this great dough! Thank you for this great recipe – my wife loves the crackers, I started with those. Making long tubes was also great, it made crunchy crispy super-thin breadsticks. I made rolls, and they were spongy and filling. I would make the rolls again – only flatter, larger and with jalapenos.

Some of the mini-doughnut comments above sound great. The crackers work so great. Amazing, thank you.

89. Hi, I’ve just put my first batch of buns in to cook and waiting with baited breath to see how they turn out. I’m hoping something even remotely similar to those Macca’s buns on Tara’s Post! Would you would consider adding a video, even if it was an additional extra to purchase? I am just having to learn to cook and bake for histamine intolerance, gluten free, yeast free, etc and it is daunting (and expensive when it fails) so my confidence has definitely taken a beating in the process. I’m sure there would be others who feel the same way. Watching how it should be done, how it should look, etc would remove all the guesswork. Thankyou so much for sharing your recipe and hopefully we will have many pizza nights to look forward to again (when I figure out how to make nightshade free pizza sauce!!!)

90. First batch made! Sadly the buns were like rubber in the middle, even after letting them cool. But from reading through the comments, I’m guessing it was from boiling the sweet potatoes rather than roasting. The mix was still quite sticky even after using the full amount of extra flour so I had to add a few more tablespoons. I also had to sub coconut oil as I didn’t have any avocado oil. Funky texture aside, the crunch on the outside was amazing and the flavour was great! Once I master the texture, these will be a regular feature on the menu. Off to try another batch… can you tell we’re missing our burgers?! :-)

91. I love love love this recipe. One tip: it will not make a great thick-crust pizza. Another tip: I have made the tortilla version with no egg and it turned out great. Now a question: I would like to know if anybody has tried this with taro. I bought a big one, roasted it and found out that it is actually fairly dry. Which might be a good thing. I can’t wait to make pizzas next week for my son’s BD party! I’m drooling already! Thanks!

• Taro is awesome with this recipe! I love it for rolls/buns. It’s super neutral so try adding bacon bits and cheese for a morning bun you can put a fried egg on and run out the door with a sandwich!

• Thanks! I went ahead and tried a single batch for crackers. Yum! Very much like soda crackers so perfect for dressing up. I then went to make a double batch for pizza crusts for my son’s bd and I ran out of tapioca. I used 1/3 tapioca and 2/3 arrowroot and made buns and wow! The dense chewiness was gone and the buns were very much like English muffins. Holy is my husband excited for summer and burger season! I have one more tip for you: don’t try to make these with a busy toddler, or leave them out where they can be nabbed when you aren’t looking! What a mess!

92. hi, I also have a whole lot of food intolerances and, while your recipe is not expensive, I am reluctant to pay out for something that I just can’t use. The only thing I can work out is that it contains yuca, and tapioca, an half and half, which can be replaced with dairy cream or coconut cream (or, I presume, goat milk cream, which is totally delicious). tapioca is a problem for me – way way way too high in fructose. do you provide alternatives/replacements? I get that this is paleo, not low gi, but it would be good to know. I also get that you want people to support you by paying for it, and that’s totally reasonable, but if you list the ingredients and not the amounts, the chance of someone taking the hours and hours to work out your recipe to avoid paying $4 are pretty slim :) thanks for any info you might be willing to provide (even off list)

• Hi Danielle, We understand your concerns and we’ve considered listing ingredients but after much discussion we still came to the decision that we would not. I can tell you that everything in the recipe is substitutable except the Tapioca flour. It’s consistency after blending the ingredients is necessary to create that doughy bready yumminess that we all have missed. I’m sorry that tapioca flour is an intolerance for you. I wish we had an alternative but with all recipe testing we’ve done nothing has come close to working the way the tapioca does. Best of luck! – Sarah, Assistant PrimalGirl

93. To anyone complaining about the spongy texture of the finished product:

Use coconut flour in place of the extra flour in the recipe. I’ve made this dough four times now, and the variation using coconut flour has been by far my favorite texture wise. I only had to use 1.5 tbsp. Granted, I did use microwaved potato to create the dough on-the-fly, so you may have to use more depending on how you prepared your root vegetable. Added benefit: it adds more fiber and protein!

Still the best 4 dollars I’ve spent! Thanks again, Tara.

• Hey Ryan, Thanks for the additional note about coconut flour. I’m allergic to coconut so we played around with adding arrowroot flour as well. It makes a big difference and really helps any doughy or gummy issues I may have had in the past. We also recommend roasting instead of steaming or boiling the root veggie. Remember that sweet potatoes are wetter than yuca so they’ll need more flour love. Best of luck everyone and happy baking! – Sarah, Assistant PrimalGirl

• Thanks for the comment about sweet potato being wetter. I had almost given up with the gumminess. My first batch came out almost perfect. I then bought a scale thinking I would get “perfect”. Instead I have had “gumminess”. I thought I knew what caused it and decide to try yucca, which I boiled. Again, gummy.

You guys have given me a few more things to try.

94. I am really interested in buying this recipe. However, I have a severe nut allergy. Before I buy this, it would be great to know if this recipe contains nuts or not. I am really sorry for asking this question as I know it is hard for you to give out the ingredients. Please do not feel pressured in answering this question. If you don’t answer, I understand.
    Thanks

• No nuts of any kinds and almost all of the ingredients are substitutable so let us know if anything is an issue. – Assistant, PrimalGirl Sarah

95. Your recipe makes the absolute best homemade pizza crust ever! Even my non-paleo, gluten-eating friends and family have been impressed. And the triple recipe makes my life that much easier. Thanks so much!

• Hi Holly! Email me some of your favourite recipe uses. We might guest feature you as a recipe to watch on the blog … [sarah@primalgirl.com] – Sarah, Assistant PrimalGirl

96. The best bread I have made I was really going to make this my last try. I was tired of spending money, time and getting my hopes up only to be disappointed every time. Well what was going to be my last try truly is only because I don’t have to search for another recipe of give up I found the best bread plus a whole lot more you can make with this recipe. Thanks for working so hard on this for sure worth the money!!

• Terri thank you so much! That is fantastic to hear. Email us at info@primalgirl.com with pictures, recipe ideas, and questions.

97. Do you think this recipe would work well for steamed buns? It’s been a long time since I have made steamed pork buns for my husband, and I keep promising to recreate the recipe paleo-style. It is originally made with a plain but sweet yeast dough. Your information is appreciated.

• Hi Elysia! I’m not sure if it would work perfectly. I would try it by modifying the dough a little. Replace a bit of tapioca flour with coconut flour (the last 60 grams for sure and probably 20-30 grams of the bulk of the tapioca flour at the start). Add the optional nutritional yeast for sure and make sure your mashed root veggie is very dry. Steaming adds moisture so it may end up being gummy. I’m not sure. I’d love for you to test it and give us your results via email at info@primalgirl.com. I’m very interested as steamed pork buns are one of my partners favourite things and I know he sneaks them in China town during business meetings over dim sum! – Sarah (I’m Tara’s assistant)

• Hi Sarah. Thank you very much for your suggestions. If I give it a try, I’ll let you know how it turns out. Apparently, the buns I used to make were too good as my husband won’t buy them. It’s both a compliment and a pain since I’m so stubborn about making them paleo :)
        -Elysia

98. Hello! I usually sub Arrowroot powder for tapioca, do you think this would work in this recipe? I also can’t have eggs or dairy, has anyone succeeded in in any subs for that. I really want to get your recipe, but thought I should ask these questions first.
    Thank You!
    Joanne

Thanks Joanne! Subbing arrowroot for the tapioca won’t work, but you can make the recipe completely egg and dairy free. There are instructions for both in the download. Cheers!

• Joanne, I have done it successfully. I usually do half tapioca and half arrowroot. I have also been successful in omitting the egg altogether with no substitutions. I tried flax but wasn’t fond of the flavour.

99. Do you think canned organic pumpkin would work?

100. so are we talking coconut milk in a can?

• As long as it has the consistency of cream, you can use any type of “milk” that you want. :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Magical Multipurpose Paleo & Primal Dough Recipe | Paleo Digest - [...] Girl in a Modern World / Posted on: July 05, 2013Primal Girl in a Modern World – I’ve been …
  2. Chorizo and Sausage Breakfast Fry Up | The Primal ChickenThe Primal Chicken - […] from a decent weekend fried to the max meal!!  Here’s what our fry up included. Leftover Primal Cheese Buns …
  3. Back to School Packed Lunches 2 | salixisme - […] carb others quite high in carbs but gluten free.  Given that most kids need extra carbs, I favour this …
  4. School Packed Lunches – 1st Day back (09/03/13) | salixisme - […] first, J had to make herself a sandwich using some of the gluten free bread I make using the …
  5. The One About my Second Go with the First Trimester | from my plate - […] matter what I ate or drank, nothing tasted good and nothing felt good. PrimalGirl’s Magical Multipurpose Paleo & Primal …
  6. The One with a Sugar Free Meal Plan | FROM MY PLATE - […] Friday: Pigs In a Blanket with Sauteed Apples (the blankets will be made from this recipe)  […]
  7. Adventures In Budget Paleo Cooking – Week of April 14-18 | Gastography - […] made carnitas tacos with my favorite paleo dough and served with some really simple sauteed green […]
  8. Today’s eats, 10/06/14. | foodstuffed. - […] the supermarket, and instead of beef keema curry with garlic and coriander flatbreads, I used the dough to make …